Wednesday, July 15, 2009

{OHSS}

OHSS: Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome...I was officially diagnosed with a moderate case of this today. Ever since the ER I have been bloated and slightly nauseous off and on. I attributed this to possibly a mild case of OHSS and side effects of the Progesterone injection. I weighed myself this morning and I was up 5 lbs from the Egg Retrieval a week ago. This concerned me slightly because I knew that this was another sign of OHSS. So I called the on duty nurse and spoke with her, after discussing my symptoms (bloated abdomen (I look about 5 months pregnant..), nausea, lower abdominal pain, slight shortness of breath) she talked to the Dr. and they decided they would like me to come in today for an ultrasound and blood work. Unfortunately this was right in the middle of the day and I had to drive up to the Seattle office, so my plans for scrapbooking with friends were thrown out the door :(

I went up to the doctor's office and all my vitals were taken, my bp, pulse and temperature were all normal. Then I was taken into the exam room for an ultrasound. They started with a vaginally ultrasound and found that each ovary was about 12cm's I believe..which is a lot bigger than normal!! So that explains why my lower abdomen is sore and distended. They then used an abdominal u/s to scan the rest of my stomach and check for fluid build up. They did find some fluid retained in my abdomen, so they are going to continue to monitor me closely over the next week and make sure it doesn't get too much worse or uncomfortable for me.

The good news is, this won't affect the embryo at all. The dr. said if anything this probably means that I am pregnant :) So....going through this discomfort will definitely be well worth it!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this. I hope that you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete