Monday, July 13, 2009

{Embryo Transfer/Day 5}

Our Embryo and future child!!!!!
Well, I finally received the long awaited phone call Saturday afternoon and they gave me the rundown on what would happen on the day of my 5 day transfer (today!). I woke up this morning and took a shower and got ready as normal, then I took my progesterone shot as I have been each morning since the ER as well. Unfortunately this morning I had HORRIBLE nausea :( I think it's just one of the side effects of the hcg shot (it mimics pregnancy symptoms). At 8:30 a.m. I had to insert a prometrium capsule intravaginally. So I did that then tried to hang out and relax a bit since I was still feeling nauseous. I headed up to Seattle and drank my 20 oz of water on the way so I would have a full bladder as instructed. By this time my nausea had finally subsided for the most part. I met my husband up in Seattle at the clinic and we went in for the appointment.

When we were first admitted to our room, the embryologist came in and talked to us about the quality of our embryos and the # they suggested transferring. She immediately told us that the embryo they had chosen to transfer today was of the best quality there is for a 5 day. When we told her we had hoped to transfer 2 she said they didn't think it would raise our odds for sticking much more but we could discuss it amongst ourselves and our Dr. So Dr. Dudley came in and talked with us. He told us the chances that ONLY one of the 2 would stick if we transferred two was only about 5-10% higher than if we only transferred one embryo and our chance of twins would go from about 2% to 60%. And he thinks we have a VERY good chance that this one will stick due to my age and overall health. So...we decided to take the advice of the Dr. and only transfer one embryo. As much fun as twins 'sounds'...I can't imagine how much work it would be!!

As for the other embryos that fertilized we found out today that 3 were being frozen today and 6 more would be looked at again tomorrow to see if they were of high enough quality to freeze, and the Dr. also thought there was a pretty high likelihood this would happen. So if this little embryo doesn't stick (which we're trying not to think about) we will have options for a Frozen Embryo Transfer in the future. This would also be a lot less expensive than another IVF cycle. So...now the dreaded 2ww (two week wait) begins...although I only have 10 days until my first pregnancy test which is scheduled for July 23rd!!! :) Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers and let this baby STICK!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment