Friday, June 5, 2009

My History...

I created this blog to anonymously blog about our IVF and ttc journey. I will start by adding a little bit of my history. I'm a mid 20s female married for just over two years and trying to conceive since going off bcp's in Oct 2007. Since that time I have not had menstrual cycle that wasn't medically induced-therefore making it very difficult to conceive our first child. After about 6 months of no cycle and no explanation from my OB/Gyn, she recommended we see an RE (Reproductive Endocrinologist) when we were ready. Not wanting to waste any time and hoping for some sort of explanation, we started seeing our RE in May of 2008. After b/w and ultrasounds, my dr originally thought I had PCOs (due to the poly cystic appearance of my ovaries) but after the results of my blood work, he determined they did not match this diagnosis and diagnosed me with 'hypothalamic amennorhea.' He said this was due to my past history of caloric restriction and extreme exercising. Although I haven't done this in 2 years, he still thinks it may be part of the cause of my amennorea (lack of a period). Before starting with my RE I tried Clomid, Provera and acupuncture for amennorhea and no luck with any of these for getting my cycle started. After starting with an RE, he increased my clomid dosage (with no luck), then we tried injectible medications (Menopur), which finally got my follicles to stimulate, but unfortunately as we slowly increased the dosage, my ovaries stimulated TOO much and the cycle had to be cancelled with my dr recommending our best option in this situation to be IVF. We were hoping we wouldn't have to go this route yet (even though my husband's insurance pays $10,000 for 1 lifetime ivf cycle). So we took a few months off as I tried acupuncture and herbs with a specialized women's clinic as well as took on a 'fertility diet' with mostly organic meats/dairy and produce. Unfortunately after 3 months of this, we were still not making any progress towards starting a cycle, and all my acupuncture benefits were used up, so we've finally come to the conclusion that IVF will be our best option.

No comments:

Post a Comment